Our monthly webinar series "Innovation Insights" continued in August, as IACMI Chief Commercialization Officer Dale Brosius moderated discussions on recent technology advancements that industry may not be fully aware of.
Attendees heard from:
Vern Benson, Technical Fellow in Composites Automation, Northrop Grumman
- "Composites - Automated Stiffener Forming (ASF)"
- Stiffeners can account for nearly 50% by weight of typical Composite Structures Assemblies, and generally account for more than 70% of the cost of the structure. Automation of stiffener fabrication without compromising on design flexibility to minimize weight has traditionally been difficult and has resulted in manual layups. Northrop has pioneered an Automated Stiffener Forming (ASF) process to allow high rate manufacturing of popular stiffener shapes (stringers, frames, spars).
Rick Neff, Consultant & CEO, Rick Neff, LLC
- "Composite Tooling Applications and the Thermwood LSAM"
- Thermwood Corporation has developed a large scale additive manufacturing system called LSAM that is tailored to making tooling for composite applications. While high temperature tooling for composite layup with autoclave cure cycles is important, there are other applications like trim tools and vacuum infusion tools for marine applications where LSAM also excels. We will discuss the unique features of the LSAM and conclude with how to get started using additive manufacturing for tooling.
Dr. Dayakar Penumadu, Fred N. Peebles Professor & JIAM Chair, University of Tennessee at Knoxville
- "Durability of Fiber Reinforced Composite Bridge Deck using Fiber Optic and Wireless Sensing Module"
- IACMI led fiber reinforced polymer-based bridge deck demonstration project in Morgan County, TN was uniquely equipped with on-demand wired fiber optic sensors and integrated material and structural health monitoring system that is wireless based with exceptionally low power consuming electronics. This presentation will share summary background on sensing technology and example results including immediate applications to other areas of national need associated with composite pressure vessel monitoring associated with hydrogen and CNG storage.